Friday, February 23, 2007

In the works

My new life is in the works. Of course, the top priority after the skiing accident was assessing the damage. When it became official that I needed surgery, I began to evaluate my options. Staying in Prague seemed out of the question. Even if I could manage to pay for the surgery here, it's a walking city, just like every other European city. Getting around and supporting myself here would be impossible for the recovery period after surgery and extremely difficult in the in-between time. The other extreme would be going home to Knoxville to live with my parents. I stayed on that option for a few days. However, after some internet research, talking to many people who have dealt with similar knee issues, and being encouraged by my Atlanta friends that they'll help me as much as I need, I decided I can manage in Atlanta.

According to webmd, most people are walking (with a crutch) quite easily within a week or two after the surgery, which is itself a two-hour long outpatient procedure. The long process is actually the physical therapy after surgery to re-build my knee's strength to it's original capacity. Webmd also says that with 6-9 months of diligent PT, most people regain 90% of their original level of activity. A torn or ruptured ACL is an athlete's injury, so everything I found made references to athletes returning to their game. Very encouraging.

So here I am looking for a new job and new apartment from the other side of the world:). Very fun. Since I'm about 75% housebound with wireless internet and a laptop, it's not such an arduous task. Just yesterday I had a Skype interview with an Atlanta job prospect. The second interview with that prospect will be the day after I get back, as well as another phone interview on Wednesday morning. And a third interview will be arranged once I'm back in town. I waver on which is my favorite of the job possibilities, but I could definitely be happy doing any of them.

I hate the gambling feel of this phase, though. I have three possibilities, for all of which I'm very grateful. I could get three offers or none. If I get none, the broke phase will last longer. And thus, the apartment search goes well, but I'm limited by the ambiguity of my income.

That's what really sucks about this injury. The week before Munich, I had finalized schedules for teaching English with three different language schools, which is how it's done here--piecemeal, and met with the director of La Strada, the THB NGO. I was going to teach 20 hours a week, which is considered full time and plenty to live on, and volunteer at La Strada one day a week, helping with grantwriting and fundraising. I also had plans to work with the social workers who helped the clients. In short, I was on the verge of earning money.

But instead, in one week, I spent more than I'd spent in the whole time I'd been in Prague. Bleh. Of course, my health insurance will help, but not for awhile, and it'll only help a little. Bleh, so it goes.

I'm excited to see my friends in Atlanta, but I was also excited about the new friendships that were just beginning here in Prague. I have mixed feelings about going back, but mostly, I'm disappointed. I really had every intention of staying here for awhile, at least 6 months, maybe even beyond a year. I know I can come back. I also believe that change isn't always for good or for bad, it's just simply change.

2 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Blogger Christy said...

Hey Faith - I don't seem to have your current email address, but I started my own blog for the trip I'm taking - it's http://whereischristy.blogspot.com

Welcome back to Atlanta - looking forward to seeing you when I get back!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger KJP said...

How is the knee coming?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home