Wednesday, November 01, 2006

This one goes out

......to the one I love. I doubt that song actually fits with this blog, but it's one of my favorite R.E.M. songs. Ok, so I've got enough guy friends complaining about internet dating and dating in general that I decided to look for a theme in guys that get a reply from me. This is mostly based on their approach, not so much about factors such as common interest, physical attraction, etc.
  1. Long emails or phone conversations. Now, while these can potentially get weird beyond the very beginning stages of getting to know someone, at first, they're great opportunities to get conversation started and find common ground. And the thing I appreciate is when I get to read long emails without writing much in return. It's easy to read a long email and pick one or two things to ask about. Reading a person's rambles so to speak also gives a lot of perspective, so it's easy to spot fuzzy oddities that need clarification before I meet someone.
  2. Positivity. If I'm going to hear someone talk incessantly about himself, which undeniably happens on most of my dates, I at least want to hear good, optimistic stuff. And the next best thing to being with someone who is genuinely interested in getting to know me better, is hearing someone who is visibly happy and excited about life.
I try to avoid giving unsolicited advice because I don't like receiving it. And so I blog. It's also amazing how popular I become as soon as I lose interest in dating. I was crazy stand-offish, almost rude, to my date Friday night, and yet, he just called and wanted to stop by to hang out tonight. As if.

All this dating stuff basically summarizes everything my roommate has ever tried to advise me about "the dating game." Play hard to get, smile all the time, make him chase you, blah, blah, blah. But I can never manage to feign disinterest. I don't fake very well. What's the point anyway? Of faking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home